Many of us think of ADHD as being a kid problem that involves looking out of the window daydreaming, having problems following information, not listening to teachers, and never finishes work on time. But what about adults? We are often told, “They’ll outgrow it,” and, “They won’t struggle with this later in life,” but let’s be real: ADHD and the common comorbidity anxiety does effect ADULTS! Adult symptoms can be the same, but a lot are different. Did you know a chiropractor can help? Read on to learn more about ADHD and anxiety relief in adults.
Studies have shown about 4% of adults in the U.S. have ADHD. This is a general range because very few adults are ever diagnosed with ADHD. The common denominator is that EVERY adult struggling with ADHD had it during their childhood. So, kids struggling with ADHD can experience a lifelong battle of cooperation, dedication, and proper diagnosis. A chiropractor can help with a wide range of things, like headache relief, anxiety relief, and there are even ways they can help with ADHD.
Symptoms in Children vs. Adults
According to WebMD, children struggle with following directions at school, can’t remember important information, cannot concentrate, are unable to organize tasks, and have a hard time finishing work on time. School is already stressful, but this puts the icing on the cake. It’s harder for children to make friends, handle stressful situations, and causes more anxiety. Unfortunately, ADHD can sometimes follow them into adulthood.
Adult ADHD has very similar symptoms, but there are some add-ons… Sometimes MANY add-ons! According to WebMD, symptoms can include anxiety, chronic boredom, chronic lateness/forgetfulness, depression, trouble concentrating when reading, trouble controlling anger, problems at work, impulsiveness, low tolerance for frustration, low self-esteem, mood swings, poor organizational skills, procrastination, relationship problems, substance abuse or addiction, and low motivation. Just typing all of these symptoms got me exhausted.
Outgrowing ADHD and Anxiety Relief
Ok, ok, the real question needs to be answered… can you OUTGROW it?? According to WebMD, only about 40% of kids will outgrow ADHD. That leaves a good 60% of individuals who continue to struggle into adulthood. That means there are a lot more adults than 4% who are living with ADHD. This means that a lot of people struggle with everyday tasks, and could also struggle with mental health.
Can Successful People Have ADHD?
YES, you can still be successful. Adults who live with ADHD start to adapt over time and some take advantage of their everyday struggle. A good chiropractor can help. Some adults will dedicate to a specific subject and excel because of their ADHD. Many famous people with ADHD have learned to navigate their symptoms in order to become successful. Michael Phelps talks about how ADHD helped him win his awards in swimming. Like himself, he looked at it as an advantage instead of a weakness and worked with it. He is now one of the most decorated Olympic swimmers.
ADHD as a Strength
People often look at ADHD as having a negative connotation, but there are a lot of powerful things behind ADHD. ADHD can be a strength of adaptability, focus, and speed. This hyper focus can help create something extremely successful… but you do need some structure. Michael Phelps didn’t win all of those medals because he swam sporadically. He set goals, stuck with a structure, and built a system of support. He had a schedule for swimming, his family was extremely supportive, and he had big goals….and HE ACCOMPLISHED.
Do You Need a Chiropractor?
Just because some adults carry a diagnosis of ADHD doesn’t mean you can’t grow with it and accomplish a lot. Living with ADHD can be powerful, adaptable, and plentiful. Schedule with a chiropractor today by clicking here.